20 February 2011

A 1.05 at RAK half marathon


I love running. So when the opportunity came to cover the media side of the Ras al Khaimah half marathon it was a yes please. Little did we know that Mary Keitany from Kenia would set a new world record on this fast course. A staggering 1.05.50, that’s roughly an average 20km/hr. As a sprinter that’s fast, and keeping that pace for 21km’s is very very fast. Mary, you are now a world record holder!!

The only price I will ever take home from a race is the raffle draw goody bag. My best half marathon time is 1.39.00 set during a race in Holland, nowhere near a podium finish. Which is comforting because it takes the pressure off. I love running. I love the joys of being outside. I always carry a pair of running shoes with me when traveling. Running allows me to explore new cities and countries ranging from the jungle in Laos to game reserves in South Africa. Along beaches on Australia’s east coast, a trailrun in the French Alps or the NY marathon. I’ll run any time of the day, regardless what the weather is doing. It helps me to clear my head, it brings answers, it’s a healthy drug.

So when seeing Mary and the 2,000 others crossing the finish line, it truly makes my day. So much energy. So much passion. And so much love. I hope the images I produced will end up on their wall. And in 20 years from now they have a story to share with their loved one…’That’s Granny doing a great race (and look at these funny clothes).’

Keep running

Wk.